BOARD MEMBER AGREEMENT.
I, ___________________________________________________________, understand that as a member of the Board of Directors of Christians United Against Sexual Violence and Homophobia in Haiti ( CUASVAHH), I have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that the organization does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of CUASVAHH, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward. As part of my responsibilities as a board member:
1. I will interpret CUASVAHH’s work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as a spokesperson.
2. In turn, I will interpret our constituencies’ needs and values to CUASVAHH, speak out for their interests, and on their behalf, hold CUASVAHH accountable.
3. I will attend at least 75 percent of board meetings, committee meetings, and special events. This can be done via Skype, FaceTime or by any other mean.
4. Each year, but no later than Thanksgiving of each year and without having to be asked, I will make a personal financial contribution at a level that is meaningful to me.
5. I will actively participate in one or more fundraising activities.
6. I will excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
7. I will stay informed about what’s going on in CUASVAHH. I will ask questions and request information. I will participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies, and other matters. I will not stay silent if I have questions or concerns.
8. While I am a member of this board, I will make every effort to vote in every public election.
9. I will work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners toward achievement of our goals.
10. If I don’t fulfill these commitments to CUASVAHH, I will expect the board president to call me and discuss my responsibilities with me.
In turn, CUASVAHH will be responsible to me in the following ways:
I will be sent, without having to request them, quarterly financial reports and an update of organizational activities that allow me to meet the “prudent person” standards of the law.
Opportunities will be offered to me to discuss with the executive director and the board president the organization’s programs, goals, activities, and status; additionally, I can request such opportunities.
3. The organization will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about issues in the industry and field in which we are working and by offering me opportunities for professional development as a board member.
4. Board members and staff will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal, and moral responsibilities to CUASVAHH. Board members and staff will work in good faith with me toward achievement of our goals.
5. If CUASVAHH does not fulfill its commitments to me, I can call on the board president and executive director to discuss the organization’s responsibilities to me.
Signed: by _________________________, Board Member
and by __________________________, Chair of the Board of Directors
*The board chair should sign two copies of this agreement for each board member. Each new board member should sign both, return one copy to the board chair, and keep the other for reference. Signing the agreements ensures that board members will read them, and is a symbolic gesture about their importance.